Monday, November 4, 2013

"Thanks for the Birthday Wishes!"


Greetings one again from Apple Valley, CA!  It feels good to say that, because I just finished my first transfer and was worried that I'd leave the area.  Thankfully, I haven't left and the Work of Salvation continues to move forward in this awesome area.  Our ward has really taken a liking to all of the missionaries serving in it, the sister missionaries, Elder Escamilla, and myself.  Thankfully, none of us were transferred this time.  It was funny to see the sigh of relief that our ward mission leader and ward council let out when we told them the good news.  The ward is very supportive and I feel incredibly blessed to work with these wonderful people.
The work is exploding here in the Ranchos area.  Each week we get more and more appointments and our teaching pool has increased dramatically.  We're finding great success in teaching the less active families of the ward and they love having the missionaries over.  A lot of the less actives really want to go to church, they just can't because of medical or other reasons.  It's really sad to see, actually.  They love having the missionaries over because even though they can't make it to church they do love to feel the Spirit.  That's one of the things that's wonderful about being a missionary, you carry the Spirit with you like no one else is able to.  I feel so blessed to be able to serve as a missionary.
Speaking of the less active families, one of the people that we felt inspired to visit was about 80 years-old, on bed rest, and was really hard of hearing.  We had to shout at her (at the request of her daughter) for her to understand what we were saying.  While we were visiting, she told us that she wanted a priesthood blessing and that she would like me to do it.  Let me tell you, it is VERY hard to shout a priesthood blessing.  It went well, though, and I was able to get through the whole blessing and felt that what I said was inspired by Heavenly Father.  Afterwards, her daughter, who has very bad asthma and has been troubled with sleep and just wanted some, asked for a priesthood blessing.  She asked for me to do it as well.  During the blessing I felt inspired to say that her pains would leave her for a night and that she would sleep perfectly well.  I also felt impressed to say that Heavenly Father had prepared a wise doctor to perform her upcoming surgery and that all would be well.  I haven't had the opportunity to visit her since the blessing, but I have faith that the promises that Heavenly Father spoke to her through me were fulfilled.
Thank you everyone that sent me the lovely birthday wishes!  They meant a lot to me.  I had a nice, but different, birthday.  To tell the truth, I forgot it was my birthday for most of the day, haha.  We were too busy.  But I did get some unexpected birthday surprises.  For starters, we taught a new investigator for the first time and she agreed to be baptized on December 14th.  That was exciting!  She was the third baptismal date I've ever set, the first two were a pair of sisters that we taught earlier this week.  Also, I found out that I wasn't getting transferred, which was welcome news.  It was a really good day, but everyday can be a good day when you're serving the Lord.

  
(these were taken by an investigator in the ward Carter serves)

Halloween was this week and we had a curfew of 6:00.  Since we had to be in so early, all of us went to the Zone Leaders' place and had a missionary Halloween party.  One of the elder's family sent all of us 6 pizzas and 6 two-liters of soda through a local member of the ward.  It was awesome.  However, while I was talking to the pizza delivery driver when she was giving us the pizza I asked her if they had already included the tip.  She said they hadn't and I've made it a firm rule in my life to always tip a pizza driver, since I was once one myself.  I ended up giving her some of the birthday money I had received earlier the week.
At the zone leaders' place we played a card game called "Magic," which I think is hilarious.  A few of the other missionaries are really into it, but the whole thing is a little silly to me so I like to just play the game without using any logic.  I actually won a few games by doing that, haha.  We also played Yahtzee and two of the missionaries dressed up as Batman and Superman and fought one of our zone leaders while the rest of us cheered them on.  Such is missionary life.
I have to get going, but it's always great to hear from you.  The work is going well here and I can't believe I've already done a transfer!  I'm excited to serve and love my time here. 
Keep it squeaky,
Elder Carter Morgan

1 comment:

  1. Sorry happy late birthday Elder Morgan. Sounds like you are doing great which we all knew you would do. So fun to read your letters. Keep up the great job you are doing. It was Sis Ireland's birthday yesterday and we took her and her companion to dinner at Makato's as they are still living with us until exchanges next week we think Take care Sister Sinsay

    ReplyDelete