Monday, November 11, 2013

"I'm a city boy..."


Greetings from Apple Valley, California!  The locals here keep complaining about the onset of winter, but I don't know what they're talking about.  Any "winter" that is 78 degrees and has clear skies all day is no winter to me, haha.  While I do love to rip on Vancouver while I'm out here, I do miss the beautiful Evergreen state, gray skies and all.

This week we had the opportunity to do service for some of the members in our ward who do our laundry.  Part of the service they wanted us to do was chopping some wood.  With a chainsaw.  Well, my companion is a good ol' Georgia boy so that was no problem for him.  Now, I was not raised in the country.  In fact, I was raised in the suburbs/city right across the river from Portland.  I wasn't as comfortable with the idea of accidentally cutting my appendages off so I elected to use the axe instead.  So one of the youth in the ward came and helped me chop and we divided ourselves into Team City and Team Country.  The youth and I would swing axes towards the wood in a pathetic attempt to chop it, having hardly any experience before.  When the wood would finally get chopped we would raise the axes over our heads and scream.  Then we would usually insult the wood that we just chopped.  While we were chopping the wood I would turn and shout at my companion things that made the city better.  "Art galleries!  Theaters!  Magnetized public railway transportation systems!  Paved roads!"  While we didn't chop as much wood as Team Country, I like to think that we won in spirit.
This week we had a dinner cancel on us so my companion and I decided to go to Red Robin to do a late celebration of our birthdays.  We ate a good meal and had a really good time.  At the end of the meal we asked if we could have our bills separately and the waitress told us that someone had paid for our entire meal.  It was awesome!  We were so grateful for the kind members of the church who sacrificed and paid for our meal.  It really made our day.
We continue to grow closer to our ward and appreciate their kind and loving support of the work that we do.  Our High Priest Group Leader has offered several hours of his time every Tuesday to help us teach and our Bishop took us out to breakfast this morning.  The people here are great and I'm glad that I've had the opportunity to meet them.
The work continues to go strong here in California and I'm proud to be one of the Lord's missionaries.  I know the church is true and I want to help others find out that it's true for themselves.
Your friend,
Elder Carter David Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment